The academic year 2014-15 marks the 100th year since the School of Architecture and Allied Arts was established. As we explored the school’s archives preparing for our centennial celebrations, we found a treasure-trove of photos tracing the school’s physical changes as well as changes in faculty, leadership, and students. We will share some of those images with you in every e-news this year, beginning with this issue.
Experimentation in teaching is not new in the School of Architecture and Allied Arts. From the noncompetitive, nongraded studio courses in architecture initiated at the school’s founding to experiments with new media and motion graphics leading to national leadership in digital arts, to pioneering public policy efforts such as Oregon’s land use law, A&AA is a rich environment for trying out new ideas. Enterprising faculty members and students who shared a spirit of collaboration and experimentation and who were not adverse to risk-taking founded the school in 1914.
This year’s 10th Annual Art History Graduate Student Symposium at the University of Oregon explores the concept of forgery in the world of art. “Reproducing the Original: The Copy’s Role in the History of Art” is centered on the concepts of authenticity, reproduction, and forgery throughout time. The April 17-18 event, which includes a keynote speech by Winnie Wong, will take place in Gerlinger and Lawrence Halls on the UO campus.
Above: Merrit Thompson, a senior in the Department of the History of Art and Architecture, curated the exhibit.
The movie “Monuments Men,” which opens in theaters across the country Thursday, February 6, has a direct connection to the University of Oregon School of Architecture and Allied Arts. The movie tells the story of nearly 350 architects, artists, art historians, curators, and museum directors who joined the U.S. military specifically to save cultural treasures from destruction by the Third Reich in the waning days of World War II. Two of these “art heroes” spent significant time in A&AA: Gordon Gilkey, MFA ’36, and Mark Sponenburgh, who taught art at A&AA from 1946-1957.